Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Moving To Tennessee? Maybe Not

Working with Tennessee Pet-Law, I get Google alerts all the time about various dog things on the Internet relating to Tennessee. I get alerts about rescue, HSUS, BSL, mandatory spay-neuter, dog legislation — you name it. Alerts all the time. Sometimes I get alerts when people are discussing Tennessee in dog chatrooms and message boards. That happened tonight when someone named NY Annie was asking for information about dogs and McNairy County.

Here's NY Annie's original posting asking for information:

The first, dog breeds that do well in the summer heat of south western TN and with the outdoors - farm country (south of Jackson). We will be surrounded by farms, next to, behind, and across from us and I am sure there will be chickens and other farm animals. I don't want trouble with my neighbors or want to worry that my dog escapes to go hunt on the neighbors' property. We also are surrounded by heavy woods, separating us from the neighbors, so there is always the possibility of snakes and other wildlife I need to concern myself with - both with the dog getting hurt by or chasing. While we will be taking in a rescued dog and I'll be getting a mutt, there are characteristics of breeds that will be predominant, so I'm just wondering what I should look for.

That's not so bad, right? But then NY Annie goes on to explain more about her situation and what she thinks life will be like when she moves to Tennessee:

My kitties are my pets - indoors at night, outside when we are - and perimeter trained. I've never had a dog house because none of my dogs were kept outdoors. They, like my kitties, are permitted to go outdoors to be with the family and to do their business - in a specific location and therefore must be perimeter trained. When we leave the property, they are leashed (wish we could do that with kids sometimes). And, just like children, pets are taught proper behavior - well, just like MY children...

Since we plan to spend almost all our time outdoors, it would be terrible to leave the pets inside. We just need to find a contractor to build our deck & pool next summer so it's ready when we arrive. The outdoor kitchen will be my next priority. We are designing it now and it will actually have more counter space than the indoor kitchen as it's where I plan on doing most of my canning. Of course I want my kitties and dog outside with me. And my kitties come when I use a certain whistle; just like all my dogs did.

This kind of stuff just drives me crazy.

I want to tell this woman
DON'T MOVE HERE!

What is she thinking? So, she's moving to farm country, close to woods, and she's not going to have a fence. She wants to get a Beagle mix and "perimeter-train" it. OMG Am I the only one who thinks this is completely stupid? The Beagle part of that dog is going to be gone in a heartbeat. This is why we tell people ad nauseum to learn about breeds and mixes before you get a dog. Beagles are hunting dogs and they have strong instincts. I don't think any amount of "perimeter-training" is going to keep that dog in NY Annie's yard. Besides that, it's just not a good idea to move to a rural area and get a dog without having a good method of containment. You are asking for trouble if you don't have a means of containing your dog.

And, if that weren't bad enough, she's got KITTENS! She thinks she's going to perimeter train them, too? That's nice. What about all the big bad things that want to eat THEM? So, while she's happily cooking in her outdoor kitchen (please, who does that in Tennessee?), her dog has disappeared, and something with claws has devoured her kittens. Even if they are adult cats by the time she moves, they don't stand much of a chance against some of the things that can come out of the woods in Tennessee.

And I haven't even mentioned the kudzu that can swallow your pets, your house, and your car.

Why do people think they can move to Tennessee and do this stuff? Next thing you know, she is calling animal control about her neighbor's dogs that killed her cats, or her Beagle mix has been chasing someone's chickens and her farmer neighbor is threatening to shoot him.

And all of the other enablers on this site are just telling her what horrible animal owners there are in Tennessee. Yeah? Well, they're not the ones who are going to be having the problems this woman is going to be having!

Yes, this kind of thing does drive me crazy, and I read exchanges like this frequently when someone is thinking of moving to Tennessee. No, we are not hicks or hillbillies. We are not bad people and we do love animals. But that does not mean that you can arrive here with your pets and act as though everything should be done the same way as the place you left. IF you are moving to a rural area, the farmers and other residents were there first. They do not want your "perimeter-trained" pets bothering their farm animals. Some farmers WILL shoot a dog. That is a fact. And the law will back them up if your dog is bothering their stock. So, keep your pets safely contained at home. That will also keep them from being hit by a car, picked up by animal control, or becoming lost.

Contrary to what you may read on some of these "informational" sites, most people with pets in Tennessee do allow pets indoors. And we are not a state full of animal abusers. We love our pets just as much as anyone, anywhere. Please get some accurate information if you are thinking of moving to Tennessee.

Are there things in Tennessee that are different from some other states? Sure. Things are different in every state. I've lived in several states and I've never noticed much difference in the way people treat their pets. But you do have to check local laws wherever you live. Check the government Web site for the state, county, and city where you are thinking of moving. That's the best way to get accurate information. Find out if there is a city or county pet license. Find out how often rabies shots are required locally. In Tennessee you are only required to get a rabies shot every three years, but some cities and counties require them more often. Find out if there are any pet limits where you're thinking of living. There are few pet limits across Tennessee but some of the larger cities do have limits. Find out what the law says for an area before you move to Tennessee. And, for goodness' sake, if you don't like what you hear about Tennessee, please don't move here. We really don't need people to move here who think they can make our state into the place they left. If you like it there so much, stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment