Sunday, August 19, 2012

If You LIve In Tennessee, Hide Your Turtles

It's been an eventful few weeks while pet breeders and owners have been occupied with the APHIS comment period and trying to explain to the USDA why raising pets as a hobby should not require the same federal regulation as commercial breeding.  Not only has HSUS been excoriating the Tennessee Walking Horse people and offering bounties on them with the Celebration coming up in Shelbyville (more on that in another post), but it's now illegal to own a turtle in Tennessee.  Yes, you read that right.  Better hide your turtles lest the gub'mint comes to take them away from you.

Oh, it's for our own good, of course.  It always is.

The first we knew about this new edict came from an article in The Tennessean on August 7:

Turtles outlawed as pets in Tennessee because of harmful bacteria


Turtles might be cute to look at, but they also can harbor deadly bacteria, including salmonella.
For that reason, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency will not issue permits for pet stores to sell turtles or for people to own turtles. That means it’s illegal to keep them as pets in the state — regardless of whether people find them in their front yard or bring them back as souvenirs from vacation.

As it turns out, it's been illegal to purchase those cute little slider turtles in pet shops in Tennessee for years, but now, courtesy of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, you can't even keep a box turtle that wanders into your yard.

And I have to ask, seriously, has anyone ever, in their wildest imaginings, ever considered getting a permit to keep a turtle?  I didn't think so.

But here's what the TWRA, an organization that I once respected because they gave me some advice about searching for and humanely trapping a missing dog, says on the subject:

Walter Cook, captive wildlife coordinator for the TWRA, says: “It’s common sense.”
“It’s a public health concern and we have to be responsible,” he says. “Being able to pull the skin and legs back into a shell creates a moist environment that aids bacteria growth. And you can’t remove animals from the wild alive because they have a purpose and provide a necessary component to the ecosystem. We don’t know what the population of these animals is or how many could be removed before jeopardizing the population.”

So, if you decipher this statement, Mr. Cook doesn't actually have any data and they haven't done any research, but, by golly, the government is going to protect something or somebody.

Seriously, he makes it sound like millions of Tennesseans are abducting turtles from the wild and I kind of doubt that's happening.  Don't get me wrong.  Turtles are nice and I had some as pets when I was a kid, but without exception, every single one of them was released back where it came from.  My brothers and I always figured out that they weren't too exciting so we let them go.

If Mr. Cook and others say turtles carry salmonella, I will accept that.  But no one I know has ever become ill from handling a turtle.  Maybe they actually washed their hands after playing with the turtle the way their parents taught them.  I know we may have more people with compromised immune systems now, but this whole idea just seems over the top.  They're turtles!  Get a grip.

I've been finding it hard to accept this change myself.  I keep wandering around the house muttering, "I can't own a turtle.  I can't own a turtle in Tennessee."  It boggles my mind.  Not that I wanted to own a turtle, but now I kind of do.  It's just one more thing the government is interfering in, it seems to me.  And it's so silly.

The TWRA says they aren't interested in prosecuting anyone.  Mr. Cook hopes people will donate their current turtles to one of Tennessee's wildlife education facilities.  That just strikes me as funny.  They should go out and get their own turtles, you know?  And turtles are so common in Tennessee who is going to want to see them at an education facility?  Do they really think people are going to surrender their turtles?  Will they have a turtle amnesty period?

Oh, they also say that turtles donated to the wildlife education facilities "will be kept in a closed habitat to reduce the risk of spreading the deadly bacteria."  According to Mr. Cook, "We just don't want anybody to get sick."  THEY'RE TURTLES!  THEY'RE FRICKING TURTLES!  Sorry, but he makes it sounds like they are aliens from another planet.  They live here.  They are a normal, natural part of life in Tennessee and most people who live in suburban and rural areas have no doubt encountered a turtle, with no harm to either side.

Mr. Cook sounds like a fruitcake, if you ask me.  I'm not sure he should be doing this job if he's so scared of animals.

The fact is, all of our pets, our kids, and just about everything around us is full of germs and deadly bacteria.  It's a normal part of life.  If your cat or dog snuggles up to you, you're taking a risk.  When your kids kiss you, you're exposed to germs.  The government cannot protect us from everything.  The more they try, the more of our freedoms they are taking away from us.  There are always people who see danger in everyday things. You can't protect people from every danger they could encounter, including bacteria from pets.

I think if you live in Tennessee and you want to have a turtle, you should go right ahead and have one.  Just wash your hands after you pet him and keep him away from people who have a compromised immune system.

The TWRA can be reached at 615-781-6500 or visit them online at www.tn.gov/twra. Send Mr. Cook some pictures of your turtles, too.  They could hold little signs that say, "Don't Tread On Me."



19 comments:

  1. Yea! turtles are my favorite animal and i was hoping to get one soon. I think this law is b*llsh*t. People say dogs have clean mouths? t hey have tons of deadly bacteria and cr*p and vomit they eat outside that probably has been out there for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I have had 3 turtles b4 I knew it was illegal and I had never got sick when I had them but I had released them because I was bored of them I mean why can we have them as pets half the time we catch them keep them for a week and release them where we found them I mean really c'mon and so you cant even own them with a lisence in Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved here from Florida recently and I brought my three turtles with me. I have ad one of them since I was in forth grade and now I am an adult with kids that have their own turtles. I am a turtle fanatic to the point where I have them tattooed on my body. I am not giving my turtles to anyone I have driven cross country from Florida to El Paso and back with my turtle in my passenger seat, he isn't going anywhere. He comes to his name and likes me to rub his neck. He is mine and I am his that' final.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a box turtle an have a permit to own mine an Ive had him almost 10 years and I'm about to move to ft Campbell Tennessee we're my husband is stationed.. and nobody will take my turtle either I don't blame you I think it's ridiculous for them to expect you to give up a animal you had prior to moving into the state my only concerns are vet care if it's illegal I guess I'll have to cross state lines to see a reptile vet if necessary but completely worth it.

      Delete
    2. I have a box turtle an have a permit to own mine an Ive had him almost 10 years and I'm about to move to ft Campbell Tennessee we're my husband is stationed.. and nobody will take my turtle either I don't blame you I think it's ridiculous for them to expect you to give up a animal you had prior to moving into the state my only concerns are vet care if it's illegal I guess I'll have to cross state lines to see a reptile vet if necessary but completely worth it.

      Delete
  4. Walter cook IS an idiot, make no mistake about that. He's also on a power-trip; always has been. Still, it's the state veterinarian and the head of the state health department who have the power to overturn the health code (which is what the law is).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can get salmonella from eating cookie dough, over easy eggs, cooking with raw chicken, from all reptiles not just turtles, baby chicks, small rodents like hampsters and mice. This is a stupid and unnecessary law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS GUY IS STUPID. IF IT IS A LIVING BREATHIG ANIMAL IT HAS SALMOELLA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4 years ago my son was given a baby red eared slider her name is tinkerbell. We have her in a huge tank with filers and heaters and lights. A real pond looking habitat. She loves people loves to watch us through the glass and will come to her name. I cannot imagine having to give her up. She is part of our family. I think this law stinks. Just tell people to wash their hands. We've never gotten sick and my son and I handle her all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you do your research and have the finances to keep your turtle in a proper habitat they can make fun pets and teach children responsibility but unfortunately many people will take a turtle from the wild without a thought of how to care for it, and the Eastern box turtle is protected and should never be kept as a pet because everyone that is taken from the wild causes the breeding number to go down. I love turtles and rescue as many as I possibly can, my friends think I am crazy when I stop on a busy highway to rescue a turtle off the road of course I release them immediately across the road in the direction they are going but far enough off the highway to be safe and I have been told that I could face a fine just for picking one up which is ludicrous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want a pet turtle can you have one in 2016 one is under my truck its a box tjrtle so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  10. We get more comments and attention to this article than anything else on the site. As far as I know, it is still against the law to have a turtle as a pet in Tennessee. They can't legally be sold in the state and you're not supposed to keep wildlife as pets here. Here are a couple of links to articles that discuss it: https://www.cuteness.com/article/pet-turtle-laws-tennessee , http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/turtle-keepers-in-tennessee-beware-of-your-wildlife-resource-agency-hide-you-turtles.106550/ , and the CDC site https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/docs/turtle-menu.pdf . You can contact USARK (the United States Association of Reptile Keepers) to see if they can recommend anything. http://usark.org/

    If your little turtle friend should happen to find his way to your house, you should keep quiet about it. But I didn't say that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have knowledge of a salmonella danger in TN and I have lived here in Clarksville for 23 years. What I do have knowledge of is people. Although some of you are exceptions to the rule, most people are not educated on the proper care of turtles. Yes, we seem to have an abundance of them at times. I have stopped my car a time or few to help them cross a road. When a large snapping turtle wandered into my yard one day my daughters and I looked at it, discussed it and moved it to a safe wetland area. When I found one that had been partially crushed I called a veterinarian for advice on how to humanely put it down. He told me to put it in front of my tire and drive over it. I told him I could not do that so he told me to put it in the freezer and it would gradually hibernate and then freeze solid without a grotesque death. We gave him quite a funeral ceremony and laid him to rest in a nest of grass. After his death he was laid to rest with honor in our family pet ceremony. Lastly, a neighbor brought a turtle to me that was clearly dying. He had been their pet since they found him. Finders keepers you know. He looked to me to be dehydrated. When I asked her where he had been kept and whether he had been fed I believe she said In a small fish tank and with hamburger. I told her that he probably had his best shot if she went to that nearby wetland and put him in the shallows of mud and water. I don't know if I was right, but I knew it was better than he had had. Turtles born in the wild are wild animals. Here in Tennessee we have a lot of squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, deer and some bears,too. Most people respect them because they are wild animals. Just because turtles are slow doesn't make them pets. Release them into their natural habitat or you should go live in one room for the rest of your life and see how that feels. Respect wildlife and leave it free. Just sayin'. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched a documentary on Eastern Box Turtles and they are now endangered. However it also said that if they've been kept in captivity for any length of time it is best NOT to turn them loose. It said that in captivity they tend to pick up viruses that if returned to the wild could harm the wild turtles. Also, after I first heard of this law I asked a PetSmart employee why they sold turtle supplies in Tn when it's illegal to own a turtle in Tn....I was told that if you already owned a turtle then you were 'grandfathered in'. So I think you're safe from the turtle police...smh

      Delete
  12. Interesting article. At least now I know the laws in this state. We got our turtle when we lived in MA. It's a long story but the turtle was a gift to my husband. The turtle was a 2 year old and still quite small. We named him Spring because we got him in the spring, that was 30 years ago. We ended up moving back to my husband's home state of Tn so we could be closer to his parents and our twin boys would be able to have a relationship with them. My parents died 4 months apart from each other when the boys were 7. When we got here that's when we found out that it was illegal to have our turtle. If the damn turtle was gonna make us sick it would have happened by now. My problem is the boys are grown and gone. One of them wants to take the turtle but has yet to ask his landlord. My husband died 2 years ago and I just can't take care of Spring any more. I don't want to turn him loose as he was farm bred and I don't think he would survive. I can't advertise to sell or give him away. I have a real problem here and flat out don't know what to do. He is a Red Slider and really sweet. He loves feeder fish and almost always keeps 1 or 2 as a friend. This last batch of feeders he kept 4 of them. They are now 4 to 6 inches long. I just don't know what to do. If anyone has a suggestion please contact me at evans884@msn.com Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put out a couple of feelers to groups that should have people who are knowledgeable about turtles. They may know someone interested in giving your turtle a new home. He sounds really sweet and well-loved.

      Delete
  13. This is no longer true as of 2017. You now may have turtles and tortoises as pets in the state of Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it still illegal? The guy at my pet store started selling them and said they are now legal. Is this true!? e.aalycia13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, it is now legal in Tennessee to own/sell some turtles.

    Effective June 21, 2016, the Tennessee Department of Health amended Chapter 1200-14-01-.36 of Tennessee Code (Sale of Turtles Prohibited) to allow for the sale of some turtles for the first time since 1977.

    Turtles may be sold if the carapace length is 4 inches or more and they are not sold to anyone less than 18 years of age.

    Turtles are still restricted from pre-kindergarten schools, daycare centers and childcare centers.

    The amendments also establish guidelines that allow the Commissioner of Health to:

    Remove, destroy, quarantine, or take any appropriate samples of the turtle if the turtle is unlawfully imported, sold or is contaminated with salmonella or other organisms which may cause or have caused disease;
    Provide a caution statement to deter and alert parents and people with weak immune systems to the health risks associated with turtles;
    Require receipts containing the caution statement to be provided to the buyer by the seller of the turtles, and require sellers to keep track of their acquisitions and dispositions of turtles.


    https://www.petage.com/tennessees-prohibition-of-turtle-sales-repealed/

    ReplyDelete